It feels so good to be home, particularly because I won’t be here for long.

I arrived very late Wednesday night from Boston via Dallas and spent yesterday relaxing, unpacking and simply enjoying being in my own space again. I had a wonderful, action-packed five weeks on the road but by the time my departure date rolled around, I was craving my own bed. I also couldn’t wait to see this:

Nothing like walking to my local beach, soaking up some sunshine and listening to the soothing sounds of the waves. Back in California, at last.

I’m about to drive up to San Francisco for Sunday’s North Face Endurance Challenge Half Marathon but first wanted to fill you in on the rest of my multi-city tour!

My Thanksgiving weekend with E’s family was awesome – great company and incredible food, I couldn’t really ask for more! I somehow managed to squeeze in an 8 miler on Saturday – my last pre-race “long” run – which was challenging after a bit too much food and booze, but I pushed through. I also got a chance to make my Triple B pancakes on Sunday, which I think won me a few extra brownie points! I didn’t have blueberries and we didn’t have time to let the batter sit, but they came out great (or at least everyone seemed to love them) which made me very happy.

After our pancake brunch, it was time to drop E at the Boston airport to head back to London. This was our third goodbye and was particularly sad since we don’t yet have our next visit planned, but hopefully we will see each other sometime in January.

I couldn’t get a flight home until later in the week. I was a bit travel weary by this stage, but I was excited to spend time in Boston and visit some London friends who had moved there over the summer. My only relatively recent trips to the city were for Harvard-Yale games back in college, and as you can imagine, not much time was spent sightseeing!

I decided to spend most of my two days in Boston exploring the city on foot. I was fortunate enough to be staying somewhere very central – a mere five minute walk from Symphony Hall, 10 minutes from Newbury street and 15 minutes from the MFA – so I made the most of it.

After an easy four-mile run and some lounging around, I had lunch with my friend at BU in the student union (he works at the university). It felt strange to be around so many students, particularly since they were mostly undergrads, but I guess that will be me quite soon! That was the first of many campuses I crossed that day. It’s pretty amazing just how many schools there are in Boston. I felt like I was moving from one type of sweatshirt to the next every ten minutes. As a Yalie I feel like a *slight* traitor saying this, but I imagine it must be pretty fun to be a student in Boston.

I crossed the river and walked along the Charles river to Cambridge. I had hoped to run along the river but it was more convenient to run around the park close to where I was staying (right near Simmons College and the MFA), so walking was the next best thing. I was of course reminded of Haruki Murakami’s book, “What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.” I read that book three years ago when I first started running again in London and loved it. I also couldn’t help but think about the Boston Marathon – the sadness returned for a moment about not being able to run in 2012, but quickly faded. I know I will be back to run there someday.

I wandered up into Cambridge and across various campuses, including Harvard’s. Such a different feel from Yale – it was interesting to sit down and observe all the students walking by. I can’t wait to be a student again! I should be hearing from NYU regarding my application any day now…

On my way back down Mass. Ave. approaching MIT’s campus, I caught the most incredible sunset. The photos do not do it justice.

Dusk on the river was also beautiful and quite peaceful. Having a day to myself for the first time in weeks was very refreshing.

The following day, I explored Newbury Street, Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall, Brookline and various other parts of town. I couldn’t help but stop in the Nike store, which was AWESOME. I wanted everything but am proud to say that I managed to control myself and only look. Once I get into school, I will reward myself with a new running outfit! 🙂

Beacon Hill was very cute – there were so many runners out and about, presumably because it was lunchtime and I was quite close to Boston Common. I caught a few doing a hill workout – looked pretty intense!

I managed to snag a last minute ticket to hear the Boston Symphony Orchestra perform – an amazing seat for only twenty bucks! I was pretty tired after so much walking but really enjoyed the concert. Inspired me to get back into playing my oboe again…

After a morning race pace run on Wednesday, I had a couple hours before my flight to visit the Museum of Fine Arts. The MFA has been on my list of museums to visit ever since I studied Art History at Yale and I loved it. Unfortunately my visit was slightly rushed but I managed to see nearly everything I wanted to see, including a wonderful Degas exhibit. I found it particularly cool that they had a conservation room on display, and enjoyed lunch in their cafe:

And that concludes my short but busy trip to Boston! Stay tuned for more details on my upcoming half marathon in San Francisco – I am feeling very out of shape and have no clue how I will fare on this difficult course, but I’m excited nonetheless. Have a great weekend!